Army Aviation Support Facility #1 has the distinction of being the first AASF in the United States National Guard.
The very first Army Aviation Organization in the National Guard of the United States began in 1915 with the creation of the "Aviation Detachment", 1st Battalion, Signal Corp, New York Army National Guard. In 1916 it became the 1st Aero Company and was stationed at Mitchell Field, Garden City, Long Island, New York.
In 1923 the unit was reorganized into the 102nd Observation Squadron of the 27th Division Aviation Section, New York Army National Guard and moved to Miller Field, New Drop, Staten Island, NY. In 1940, the 102nd Observation Squadron was activated for federal service and moved to Fort McClellan, Alabama.
In the early 1950s, Aviation in the New York Army National Guard reorganized and moved to Zahn's Airport, located in North Amityville, Long Island, New York and the first Army Aviation Support Facility (AASF) was born. The AASF supported traditional "Guard" units with 40, Cessna L-19 (Bird Dogs) and 2 Navion fixed wing aircraft, while awaiting delivery of the first 10, H-13 (Bell 47) helicopters to replace the airplanes.
In the early 1970s, New York Army Aviation moved to Long Island's MacArthur Airport, Ronkonkoma, New York and was redesignated Army Aviation Support Facility #1 (AASF1), where it remains to this day.
AASF1-NY currently supports the 3rd Battalion, 142nd Assault Helicopter Battalion and Company B, 642nd Aviation Support Battalion. Both units have a history of deployments to numerous regions around the globe.
Previous units included 1-142 Aviation, and 1-101 CAV (OH-6 & AH-1), 3-142 General Support Aviation Battalion (UH-60) and C-638 AVIM.